The Pharisees and other Jews in Jerusalem did not like Jesus. He didn’t play by their rules (Matt. 12:1-14), He claimed to be God (John 8:58-59; 10:22-33), and He extended salvation beyond the Jewish people (Luke 4:27). So they plotted several times how they might kill Him. The events leading up to His death did not surprise Jesus. Each step was part of God’s established plan. (See Isa. 53:10; Acts 2:23.) But knowing God’s plan didn’t lessen Jesus’ suffering as He was betrayed by His friends, arrested, falsely accused, and beaten. As you teach your kids about the arrest of Jesus, help them understand the gravity of the events.
Jesus felt the pain of betrayal and the agony of His imminent suffering and death. Jesus knew that His death was God’s plan to save people from sin. Jesus’ friends turned against Him and He was arrested and put on trial, but Jesus followed His Father’s plan in order to bring salvation to the world.
Family Talking Points
Here are the talking points for you to go through with your kiddos:
- Babies and Toddlers
- Jesus went to a garden to pray.
- People arrested Jesus, but He did nothing wrong.
- Jesus said everything happened as God planned.
- Jesus obeyed His Father’s plan no matter what.
- Jesus died to rescue us.
- Jesus was arrested though He did nothing wrong.
- What did Jesus do to save us? Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead.
- Jesus allowed His enemies to arrest Him.
- What did Jesus do to save us? Jesus lived a sinless life, died on the cross, and rose from the dead.
Unit Key Passage