This week, we are learning about Jesus’ death on the cross. Jesus was our substitute, taking our place on the cross and absorbing God’s wrath on our behalf so we can be forgiven and declared righteous. (See Rom. 3:25-26; Col. 2:13-15.) Jesus died to rescue sinners from slavery to sin, and when we trust in Him, we are free indeed.
We deserve to die because of our sins, but God loves us and kept His promise to send a Savior. Jesus never sinned, but He died in our place. He was the blood sacrifice made once and for all for the forgiveness of sin. Jesus rose from the dead on the third day, and those who trust in Him have forgiveness and eternal life.
Family Talking Points
Babies and Toddlers
- Jesus never did anything wrong.
- Jesus died on the cross to do God’s plan.
- God made Jesus alive again.
- We deserve to die because of sin, but Jesus died for us.
- Jesus died to rescue us.
- Jesus died on the cross for our sins.
- What did Jesus do to save us? Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead.
- Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins.
- What did Jesus do to save us? Jesus lived a sinless life, died on the cross, and rose from the dead.
Unit Key Passage