The Ultimate Mediator
Text: Hebrews 7:1-3
Listen to Sermon
- What is a ‘mediator’ in generic terms? How does Christ mediate for us? What is the work of our Great High Priest with respect to God the Father?
- This text teaches that Christ’s office as Great High Priest is patterned, not after the traditional High Priesthood of Aaron, but after the order of Melchizedek, who made his one and only appearance in the time of Abraham (Genesis 14:17-24). Review that narrative carefully.
- When Pastor Jim called the Old Testament narrative about Melchizedek a piece of “designer history,” what did he mean?
- Biblical scholars have long debated whether Melchizedek was a priest who prefigures Jesus, or a pre-incarnate appearance of the Son of God. Compare Genesis 14 and Hebrews 7:1-3. Which way would you take it?
- In terms of the overall argument of the book (the superiority of Christ to every person the Jewish people revered in their history), what seems to be the point of this discussion about the ‘pedigree’ of Melchizedek?